For me, this list is an opportunity to revisit movies and learn from them.
Yes, they are colored with the window glaze of Hollywood, but for those who need a visual example of bullies behaving badly (and how the issues were addressed) in the workplace – this is a starting list.
2017 was a year of bullying – represented in the media, politics and in our workplace. The fact is, adults who bully exist in our workplaces across all industries, job responsibilities and teams.
What can we learn from these movies?
Grab a comfy chair, a favorite beverage and watch!
I’m sure, if you have ever held a job, or currently have a job, you will find a movie scenario that you can relate to. Maybe you can also identify a tactic you can adapt to your workplace situation.
Honorable Mention Movies
- Big Bully (1996)
- Joe Somebody (2001)
- 9 to 5 (1980)
- The Devil Wears Prada (2006) – a recent college graduate and aspiring journalist, takes a job as a junior assistant to the difficult, overbearing editor in chief of a major fashion magazine. Daily bullying from her boss, long hours, and constant threats of losing her job are endured.
- Featuring: Meryl Streep, Anne Hathawy, Stanley Tucci
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTDSwAxlNhc
- The Internship (2013) – After losing their sales jobs, two former salesmen fight to remain relevant after joining Google in an internship program competing with young, tech-focused workers competing for a paying job at Google. During the internship, they are bullied by a much younger, college age intern, while working for the manager of the internship program who doubts their abilities. They are considered “dinosaurs”.
- Featuring: Vince Vaugh, Owen Wilson
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5bmAwbk9TI
- The Help (2011) – The workplace in this moving drama is the home, as this movie follows the difficult working conditions of African American women working as house maids for overbearing, dismissive white women in Mississippi in the civil rights era of the 1960’s.
- Featuring: Octavia Spencer; Viola Davis, Emma Stone
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPRkiLhwI6o
- Award: Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role; Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Cast; Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor; Critics Choice Award; Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress; NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress; NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress; NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Motion Picture
- Up in the Air (2009) –A movie about the bully – who is hired by organizations to do the dirty work – handling layoffs and firings.
- Featuring: George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbXGW5czKo
- Awards: Golden Globe Award Best Screenplay; MTV Movie Award; NY Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor
- Click (2006) – A workaholic architect, with a difficult boss, neglects his family and choosing work over his family time. He finds a universal remote that allows him to fast-forward and rewind to different parts of his life. Complications arise when the remote starts to overrule his choices.
- Featuring: Adam Sandler; Kate Beckinsale; Christopher Walken; Henry Winkler
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBXMNcKhj4
- Employee of the Month (2006) A slacker competes with a repeat winner – who happens to bully his co-workers – for the “Employee of the Month” title at work, in order to gain the affections of a new female employee. After the workplace bully doesn’t win the employee of the month for the first time (after 17 consecutive wins) – he then takes steps to cause even more harm to the new winner. Bad behavior continues amongst coworkers.
- Featuring: Dane Cook, Jessica Simpson
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIjLp-wbEY
- Bamboozled (2007) A television executive is constantly harassed by his boss, who uses racially charged speech while dismissing his abilities and job goals.
- Featuring: Damon Wayans, Savion Glover, Jada Pinkett Smith
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiH6IhQjwY
- Waiting… (2005) Young employees at sports bar / restaurant called TaTa’s Wing Shack collectively stave off boredom and adulthood with their mischievous antics while attempting to serve food to guests.
- Featuring: Ryan Reynolds, Anna Faris; Justin Long
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfwRY4T71k
- In Good Company (2004) In this dramatic comedy, a middle-aged print media salesman played by Dennis Quaid gets a new 26 year old boss and has to adjust to restructuring, a new corporate culture led by billionaire Teddy K, and a changing advertising landscape. An excellent cast and story make it one of my favorite workplace movies of all time. I still think of this movie every time I hear the word “synergy”.
- Featuring: Dennis Quaid; Topher Grace
- Movie Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_SiOD-YMGU
- Boiler Room (2000) This crime drama explores concepts of greed and corruption in business. An excellent ensemble cast takes us into the dark world of a stock brokerage and their cold calling center. At a time today where companies are increasingly using inbound marketing and sales, Bolier Room provides an excellent look at the good, the bad and the ugly in classic sales.
- Featuring: Vin Diesel, Nia Long, Ben Affleck; Scott Caan.
- Movie Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoXMvNrQro
- Tommy Boy (1995) After attending college for 7 years, a recent college graduate returns home to work for the family auto parts business. After his father passes away, Tommy must deal with unfortunate and difficult family members, and take matters into his own hands to save the business.
- Featuring: Chris Farley, David Spade
- Movie Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQ4K2bvVxY
- Working Girl (1988) – In New York City, a administrative assistant, works for a boss who takes credit for her ideas. Due to unexpected medical problem with her boss, she has an opportunity to change her future, and takes it – by imitating her boss in her absence.
- Featuring: Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkR7ITaa2ko
- Awards: Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress, Golden Globe Award for Best Actress; Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- Disclosure (1994) – A movie focused on sexual harassment of men by a female, also a former lover, in the workplace. The man later as a hard time proving his innocence, after being accused of sexual harassment by the female in questions.
- Featuring: Demi Moore, Michael Douglas, Donald Sutherland
- Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzhWS1_8TDo
A new resource to prepare for your workplace meetings
If you like a process and flow, you might like something new we’re working on. We prepared a small and effective resource to help you speak with your manager (or team members) with increased confidence.
It’s a an organized tool that lets you identify the most important elements of the upcoming meeting / conversation that you care about. This will hep you to be more confident, and definitely more prepared during the meeting discussion – potentially improving the outcome. We know what to do already, but this gives us an organized framework for planning – for every 1:1 meeting.
Ready to check it out?
Get the Difficult Conversation Checklist (DCC), a simple tool that helps you prepare for your next difficult meeting with your boss — and the tool is interactive and usable for each and every conversation.
Get the Difficult Conversation Checklist (https://hobsontraining.com/difficult-conversations-checklist/)