In the article, 10 Workplace Trends for 2015, author Dan Schawbel, highlights several key workplace hiring and employee retention trends.
- 1099 vs W2 – Which is Your Reality?
- How Today’s Applicants Apply for their next job
- Engaging Existing Workers
1099 vs W-2
A recent study by Elance-oDesk shows that 53 million Americans are now freelancers, which is 34% of the American workforce.
- Freelancers indicate “69% of them say that technology is making it easier to find freelance work”
Searching for Work
- “86% of employees are already looking for work outside their current occupations and nearly one third of employer’s expert workers to job hop”
- “83% of job seekers currently use smartphones to search for job openings yet only 20% of the Fortune 500 companies have a mobile friendly career site”
- “45% of active candidates have applied to a job on their mobile device”
Engaging and Retaining Workers
- “58% of people are more likely to want to work at a company if they are using social media”
- “Over 20% are more likely to stay at their companies if they are using social media”
It is no secret that it is cheaper to retain experienced, knowledgeable workers than to conduct a search for new talent. Based upon the above survey feedback, social media may be an investment worth investigating for employee retention and reduced hiring costs.
After all, workers are using social media to research the organizations for whom they wish to work.