Today – for anyone who had a difficult workday today, let’s celebrate some of my favorite inspirational words from Prince (“His Purple Majesty”, the artist) that can apply to any workplace or industry.
No matter where you work, no matter the field you are in, you must work with others. You communicate with others in your sphere of your working life. Sometimes it is a healthy dialog amongst peers and project team members. Other times, the communication can be frustrating, demeaning and downright hurtful. Often times, it requires commitment to something or someone external to the actual employment to encourage you to return each and every day. Sometimes, it is nothing more than a smile from an unknown worker as you exit the building, a nod from someone in the elevator on the way to get your third cup of coffee, or a manager from another department [who you didn’t think was aware of your existence] that acknowledges your efforts on a project.
Other times, all you need is a few words of encouragement – often from a stranger to make you pause, breathe and appreciate the fact that you have worth and that you have value outside of your place of employment. Here are 5 of my favorite inspirations from Prince himself. Breathe and Enjoy.
- For the corporate trainer: “…. I’d rather give people what they need rather than just what they want.”
- After the annual performance evaluation: “I don’t live in the past… I make a statement, then move on to the next.”
- Collaboration: “My hat goes off to anybody who can sit down and put their heads together.”
- Workplace Gossip: “As human beings we suffer from an innate tendency to jump to conclusions; to judge people too quickly and to pronounce them failures or heroes without due consideration of the actual facts …”
- Your Value: “No one can dictate who you are to other people”.